Sunday, June 29, 2008

Aidan and Denali






Howdy there!

Wow... I've been woefully neglectful in participating here... but I'm back in the saddle again.

The photos you see here are how I've been spending my time. Two wolf pups will be joining the Ambassador pack at the International Wolf Center on August 4. They came to the center at twelve days of age and are in the process of being socialized to humans over a period of three months before joining the adults in the main enclosure.

As it happens, I was invited to join the Wolf Care Staff in mid-April, so I've had the opportunity to participate hands on in this socialization process, and have spent about three weeks in Ely since May 12. I'll be traveling north three more times this summer, including a week to assist with the introduction into the main pack.

All I can say is Wow.

While socializing the pups is an amazing experience on its own, being on the Wolf Care staff also includes interacting with the adult wolves which requires the slow and tenuous process of gaining the trust of Shadow, the dominant male in the pack. That process is a humbling experience in and of itself.

Enjoy the pics...

Awen

No comments: